Welcome, and thank you for your interest in our Farm School! Through this inspiring educational opportunity, we are seeking to “equip both new and seasoned farmers for success in pasture-based animal agriculture”. We think we’re on to something here, and don’t want to keep it to ourselves! These days, more and more people are actively seeking to source their meat from eco-friendly, humane, health conscious, local farms, with the tidal wave of consumer demand only now beginning to swell. We believe that “sustainable agriculture” is the way of the future, and we want to help farmers prepare themselves for a profitable future in their agricultural enterprise. You CAN produce good, healthy food for others while honoring nature and creation, make plans to join us and find out how!
Who: Those who are considering starting a sustainable (or transitioning from a conventional) livestock operation
What: A 2-day, intensive educational and networking opportunity, including academic and hands-on sessions
When: April 21-22, 2018
Where: Chillicothe, OH
Why: To equip, inform, and empower current and future farmers for success in sustainable agriculture
- Rotational, management-intensive, and mob grazing methods
- Retail, wholesale, restaurant, and direct marketing opportunities
- Website design, social media, online storefront options
- Tools, equipment, infrastructure, fencing, farm layout and design
- Digital and online tools to increase organization and efficiency
- Budgeting, farm finances, appropriate data collection
- Holistic animal healthcare, multi-species synergy
- Business structures and planning, funding sources
- Livestock breed selection, soil mapping, DIY hacks, and so much more
- Tour entire farm and discuss/view equipment, barn, handling facilities
- Rotate cattle/sheep “flerd” to fresh pasture, move temporary fence
- Compare electric twine, rope, and netting systems, step-in posts, reels, etc
- Move pastured broilers & free-range hens to fresh grass, feed woodlot pigs
- “Work” baby lambs & calves (TBD, but the timing is right for lots of cuteness!)
- Multiple networking opportunities to connect with other current and future farmers
$300/person ($250/additional registrant) if your registration form is postmarked before March 26th
$350/person ($300/additional registrant) if your registration form is postmarked on/after March 26th
Active military & veterans: Tuition or lodging scholarships may be available, contact us for details and availability
- Camping, $25/night – For those who want to be right in the thick of the action, we are offering on-farm camping. Site selection will be (mostly) unrestricted, and porta-johns will be available for use. You must bring your own tent, supplies, etc, and be sure to leave it better than you found it!
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, $xxx/night – This is the newest hotel in Chillicothe, located 9.1 miles from our farm and nearby all that downtown Chillicothe has to offer. Reserve your room before Xxx XX and get xx% off the regular rate by clicking XXXX.
Saturday breakfast: Provided – light pastries, donuts, coffee, juice
Saturday lunch: On your own – several restaurants within walking distance
Saturday dinner: Provided – pork brats, BYOB (followed by “networking by the bonfire”, and S’Mores, of course!)
Sunday breakfast: Provided – farm fresh eggs, sausage, toast, coffee, juice
Sunday lunch: Provided – menu TBD
Please download and print the 2018 Registration Form by clicking here.
See you in April!